Site History

Cartography is a method of recording places, and names of places. Names of streets, villages, waterways, give a window into the past. For example, ‘Oxford’, a river crossing (ford) for oxen. Historical investigations into the site have uncovered interesting facts. It is no coincidence that the Castle Mill Stream was once occupied by a mill. In fact, years ago the site was home to a flour mill, utilising hydro power via a water wheel. Records show that over time, with increased industrial activity in the immediate area, small breweries began to appear. Known originally as the Swan’s Nest brewery, beer was brewed on the site at Paradise Street until 1926. It is not clear if Swan Bridge, (directly downstream from the site) takes or gives its name to the brewery.

Advertisements